Friday, October 3, 2008

Back from the past...

My daughter just came back from her field trip and said she had a great time! They took the kids to a farm, that is run like a colonial times museum of sorts. First they took the kids there in buses. Then from the entrance of the farm, the kids, teachers and accompanying parents were taken on wagons, pulled by a tractor to the 'colony'. There, the students were asked to enter an old style classroom, and sit on the floor cross legged. (otherwise known as Indian style!) They were given slates and chalk made from ..you guessed it, slate, and told that this is how students in the colonial days learned in school. They saw how children dressed in those days and what they ate. Fresh farm products and fruits and vegetables that most families grew on their own. Anyone familiar with the t.v series called, 'Little house on the Prairie'? That is the kind of colony and farm that the kids were taken to. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?

Being Friday evening, I thought I would check with both kids as to what homework they had so that we could plan what to do on the weekend. My sons exaxt words: 'Hmmmm, I don't have any homework because I finished it in school'.

My daughter: 'Oh yes, we have homework. Our teacher told us that after the long day out at the farm, our homework is to 'relax'.

What do you say to that??!!

No comments: